So Fi Zine Edition #6
So Fi Zine is a sociological fiction zine for arts-based research, creative sociology, and art inspired by social science. The zine publishes short stories, poetry, photography, photo essays, cartoons, and other creative works. Edition #6 will be published in November 2019.
Edition #6 is inspired by Deborah Lupton’s digital, creative, more-than-human and future oriented research. Pieces are invited that creatively explore sociological futures: bodies, spaces, disciplines and things. Broaden our field of vision. Bring us tomorrow today. Write stories that take us somewhere better than here (or not). Make art that takes a stand.
- All text submissions should be in a .doc or .docx file using size 12 font
- All visual submissions should be in .pdf or .jpeg format
- Authors may submit two pieces to any edition – for example, two short stories or one poem and one photo essay
- Separate your submissions into individual documents
- Each submission must be under 1200 words
- Include an author bio (under 50 words) in your submission document (even if you are submitting using a pseudonym)
- Use ‘So Fi Zine #6 Submission’ in your submission email subject line
Submit via email to email@example.com.
Submissions close on September 30, 2019.
If you have questions please check the FAQs before emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some future thinking prompts:
Send us a postcard from the future. Design a postcard picture (update an existing one or DIY from scratch) and regale us with a short tale from 2080. See this Lancaster uni example for inspiration.
Pen a birth notice for a new sociology of the future. Welcome a manifesto into the world.
Interview a future thing. Take us beyond today’s IoT and into dialogue with tomorrow’s creatures, places, and objects.
Sketch a meeting with your future self. Craft a comic strip where you meet your future self – who are you?
Invent the research of the future. Contribute to our list of tomorrow’s sociological book titles and (re)write the disciplinary canon.
See the previous calls for submissions here.